Monday, June 12, 2006

Being Human & Other Disasters

In my 43 years upon this planet, I've come to discover one thing, one truth, that stands out above all else.
We're extraordinarily good at being human.
Admittedly, that sounds bad. Well, perhaps not bad, but perhaps a bit too general. What does it take to be human anyway?
It is so tempting to say that the most basic part of being human is an incredible ability to cause chaos. Recently, in a forum I belong to (Distributism at Yahoo Groups), one of our members launched into a debate concerning the debasement of human nature and how, for the last 2000 years, it has led to the gradual decline in the quality of life and the degradation of humanity in general. It is so easy to see that... we spend perhaps too much time concentrating on the negative aspects of being human. One only has to look at the daily news to see just how debase we can be. How can we be good when it seems that all around us us proof that we are otherwise? That seems such a gross statement of the facts. How can we believe that human nature is wicked when we look into a child's eyes, or gaze in wonder upon those wonderful artistic achievements or listen to heart stirring music, also human in their creation?
The funny thing is... we make mistakes. We learn from them. We go on. It's called learning. It's how we grow. Sometimes the mistakes are grandiose whoppers; I've been guilty of a few of those. Perhaps more than a few. You can't dwell on them, though. To do so is to admit that there is no hope. It can lead to paralysis of decision, an inability to do anything. We can wallow in the disaster and let it consume us... or we can rebuild and move on. Many times, these mistakes, these disasters, lead to better things. Sometimes, they don't. But if we persevere, hang on to hope and remember, as my PDA has been programmed to remind me everyday at 11:55am, that this is only temporary. we can get by. All things pass, both good... and bad. All we need is time and enough strength to get through them.
How much strength, though? The late Richard Pryor once said that he'd rather run from a fight than actually get in one, because a broken pride heals much faster than a broken arm. And it's true. It is so easy to let a bad situation eat us up, eat us alive and leave us feeling hollow. Is that really necessary? To what good is it? Physical pain is bad enough, but mental anguish only exist if we allow it to.
And that's the trick we must learn. Oh, trust me here, I am as guilty as the next poor soul when it comes to mental anguish... three suicide attempts are in my past. Looking back on them, though, I can't help but wonder... what would have happened had I just given up, say in 1978, 2000 or 2001? I'd have never graduated, I'd have never gotten out of a bad situation alive and I'd have never started this wonderful journey I am now on. It's still hard, trust me. When it comes to self loathing, I'm an expert.
Then, that little PDA goes off and reminds me.
We're human. We make mistakes. We're chaotic. We also make children, art, music, love. We're the only species alive on this planet that has an understanding of our place in the Creation. We're children of God. Rough times pass. Disasters end. We carry on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home